This is a year-long project with the final publication posted online in spring 2020. The proposal deadline is June 7, 2019 (Midnight, Pacific Daylight Time PDT).
Authors will be notified of acceptance of their proposals by July 12th, 2019 (Midnight, Pacific Daylight Time PDT). Essays are due October 15, 2019 (Midnight, Pacific Daylight Time PDT). A $500 stipend will be paid per published article, regardless of the number of authors.
We welcome essays from people who fit any or all of these categories or who have other applicable experiences and expertise. We want to hear your ideas. The publication, which will itself be in an inclusive format, will cover topics within several broad categories.
- Integrating inclusive design into all interactives
- Evaluation of inclusive design in interactives
- Digital challenges for people with varied abilities
- Technology tools for inclusion
- Anticipating inclusion requirements for developing technologies
- Interactive works of art
- Comprehensive intellectual access, including open access
We are looking for expertise, in particular, from:
- Developers, designers, or fabricators of inclusive museum interactives
- Designers of assistive technology that has direct application for creating inclusive museum interactives
- Avid museum-goers with disabilities or age-related sensory or physical changes who have faced barriers when using interactives.
See terms and conditions for additional details.